Department of Mathematics
Mathematics is response to the fundamental human endeavor to understand the world. Furthermore, modern technological society relies on developments in this discipline. Consequently, the Department of Mathematics at Kocaeli University, as in most universities, plays a vital and indispensable role in the lives of the students and faculty.
The Department’s mission is two-fold: to assist in integrating students into society by educating them in this field; secondly, to build and foster an excellent faculty, which contributes to the development of mathematics and serves as a resource of mathematical expertise for the people of this state. This department aims to fulfill this mission by performing the following major functions:
- Provide superior General Education instruction for every student on campus.
- Deliver quality instruction via a large collection of service courses to a significant variety of departments and majors.
- Sustain a considerable and qualified group of undergraduate majors in the areas of pure mathematics and applied mathematics.
- Maintain vibrant graduate programs in the fields of pure and applied mathematics.
In order to fulfill these functions the department should do the followin
- seek, constantly, ways to improve its teaching methods thereby deepening student understanding, including the use of new technology as a teaching tool, and maintain a diverse and modern curriculum at all levels;
- convey to all students a sense of the relevancy of mathematics and statistics, and of the importance of analytical and quantitative skills in contemporary society;
- provide placement and advising tools for students so as to promote a high level of success among the many students taking its courses;
- make available intervention tools to maintain a high level of success among all its students;
- maintain communication with the departments whose majors are served by its courses in order to ensure that the courses are providing the knowledge and skills needed, within the constraints of usefulness to all students in those courses and of the maintenance of mathematical integrity;
- foster an environment for its students in which the excitement and vivacity of mathematical and statistical activity is apparent, and in which students carry that enthusiasm back to their professional lives regardless of whether they are secondary school or community college teachers, applied mathematicians or statisticians in commerce and industry or graduate students pursuing higher degrees;
- impart appropriate training in mathematics for graduate students who will use that training professionally as mathematicians or as teachers of mathematics while also providing adequate preparation for the students who will pursue doctoral studies;
To constitute and to support the academic staff respected at national and international level, contributing to science and technology by doing research in mathematics, being innovative, having property of leadership.
Kocaeli University's Mathematics Department aims
- to bring teaching, research and social services up to universal standards
- to educate students who are committed to promoting respect for the rights of others, who are considerate and appreciative of human differences, and of the constructive expression of ideas.
Dedicated to teaching, research, and service to our society, the mission of Kocaeli University's Mathematics Department is
- to educate the leading work force of future who have an inquiring mind and a critical thinking ability are sensitive to local and global issues; achieve international standarts; contribute to scientific, technological, and cultural knowledge; are strong supoorters of universal ideas and values.
- to give high qualified mathematics education for continuation of learning, teaching and research studies at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
The vision of Kocaeli University's Mathematics Department is
- to reach, produce, apply and promote knowledge,
- to educate individuals with that knowledge for the social, cultural, economic, scientific and technological development of our society and humanity,
- to raise qualified graduates who are breeding knowledge, promoting technology, learning to learn, uncompromising science morality,
- to become one of the centers of leading mathematical studies on national and international levels.
In order to be admitted to Kocaeli University Mathematics Department, candidates must get the required base score from the exam held by Student Selection and Placement center (OSYM) . A student of an equaling program can aslo apply for lateral transfer within the quota specified. Exchange students can take the courses which are offered in English. In addition to the English medium courses, the exchange student can also take the Turkish medium courses if s/he has proficiency in Turkish language. International Relations Unit is charge of carrying out exchange student procedures, and Farabi Exchange Program Unit carries out the procedures regarding international students.
So as to be granted a Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, a student is required to complete the courses offered by the program successfully, accomplish 240 ECTS in total, and have minimum CGPA of 2,00 out of 4,00.